Corporate, M&A and Capital Markets
Marcos M. Schroeder was a partner of two Brazilian top tier law firms in São Paulo before deciding to initiate his own practice along with Rodrigo Valverde and the other members of his firm. He specializes in Mergers and Acquisitions, Private Equity and Capital Markets, possessing a distinguished academic background and extensive expertise in both domestic and cross-border transactions.
In 2003, Mr. Schroeder was an International Associate at Debevoise & Plimpton LLP, New York.
In 2014 he was recommended by The Legal 500 for his Corporate and Mergers and Acquisitions practices.
Languages: Portuguese, English, Spanish and Italian.
Background & Relevant Projects:
Mr. Schroeder concentrates his practice in Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions, and Capital Markets.
Clients refer to Mr. Schroeder as “an outstanding corporate lawyer” and “highly recommended for his availability and corporate expertise”. According to Latin Lawyer's survey with clients: “As a foreign investor, it is important to have a seasoned partner closely helping us think through all of the potential issues in our overall business, not just thinking about the current deal on which we are working. Marcos and his team (thanks to his leadership) have been giving us this service.”
Relevant projects include representing:
- Agro Amazônia Produtos Agropecuários Ltda., in the negotiation and sale of a controlling interest to Sumitomo Corporation
- Petra, in the BRL1.6 billion sale to HRT of 45% participating interest of the oil and gas exploration rights held by Petra in twenty-one blocks in the Solimões Basin
- EDP –Energias do Brasil S.A., in entering into an agreement, along with MPX Energia S.A., to take over the construction works of three thermal power plants (Energia Pecém, Itaqui and Pecém II), located in the States of Ceará and Maranhão, which are expected to generate over 1300 MW
- Mitsui in the sale of Caemi Mineração e Metalurgia to Companhia Vale do Rio Doce (Vale) and the related purchase by Mitsui of a significant interest in Valepar, the controlling shareholder of Vale
- Mitsui in its acquisition of the Brazilian mining company Caemi Mineração e Metalurgia (CMM)
- Crédit Suisse, in the court-supervised debt restructuring of Grupo Agrenco
- BNY Mellon Serviços Financeiros DTVM S.A., in the out-of-court debt restructuring of Imcopa Importação, Exportação e Indústria de Óleos S.A.
- Diferencial Energia Participações S.A., in the sale of power generation projects
Construtora Norberto Odebrecht, Camargo Correa Construções e Comércio and Construtora Andrade Gutierrez, in the negotiation of EPC contracts in large power plant projects (incluiding Santo Antônio, in the Madeira River, and Belo Monte)
- E.ON, in corporate law and contractual matters relating to its investment in Eneva
- BP Biofuels Brazil Investments Limited, in corporate law and contractual matters relating to its invesment in Companhia Nacional de Açúcar e Álcool – CNAA
- Odebrecht Defesa e Tecnologia, in the formation of a joint venture with French company DCNS and negotiation and execution of agreements with Brazilian Navy for the construction of submarines, including nuclear submarine; in the formation of a joint venture with German defense company Cassidian (EADS); and in negotiations of agreements for the sales of weapons and military technology and equipment to the Brazilian Armed Forces
- Banco Safra: in the restructuring of all of the outstanding indebtedness of cell phone providers BCP and BSE, and their sale to Teléfonos de México in the acquisition by its controlling shareholder of the remaining shares in the bank’s controlling entity in negotiation and establishment of security interest (DIP financing) in connection with Centrais Elétricas do Pará – CELPA
- Aibel Holding Limited, in the sale of its Brazilian subsidiary Aibel Óleo e Gás Ltda.
- Noteholders, in the restructuring of all of the outstanding indebtedness of Net Serviços de Comuincação
- Malzoni Family, in the sale of sugar and ethanol plant Usina Santa Luiza S.A.
- Banque Nationale de Paris (BNP), in the merger with Paribas, founding BNP Paribas
Education & Affiliations
Mr. Schroeder graduated from Universidade de São Paulo Law School in 1998 and was admitted to the Brazilian Bar (OAB/SP) in the following year.
He is also a permanent member of the International Law and International Businesses Commissions of the Brazilian Bar.