Banking and Finance
João Nascimento was a senior associate at a top tier law firm in São Paulo before joining Schroeder – Valverde as a partner in 2016. He specializes in Banking Regulations and Structured Finance, combining his solid knowledge of banking regulations with a comprehensive track record in finance deals.
In 2008-2009 Mr. Nascimento was an International Associate at Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP, Miami.
Languages: Portuguese and English.
Background & Relevant projects
Mr. Nascimento concentrates his practice in Banking & Financing matters. He has worked in a variety of structured finance transactions involving Project Finance, Corporate Finance, Trade Finance and Debt Restructuring. He also represented several Brazilian and foreign financial institutions in the regulatory review of a wide variety of matters. Mr. Nascimento’s knowledge of Brazilian banking regulations allows him to assist startups and equity firms in venture investments deals, especially within the FinTech and Payments industries.
Relevant projects include representing:
- Caixa Econômica Federal, in the financing of over BRL600MM for the construction of a complex of government buildings in Brasília-DF (CENTRAD)
- Union Bank of California, N.A., in a term loan facility to finance a 155MW natural gas-fired cogeneration power plant in Auburndale, Florida
- the bank syndicate in the refinancing of the Jirau hydropower plant, one of the world's largest in installed capacity
- the bank syndicate, in the restructuring of over BRL500million debt of a large sugar/alcohol group
- a Peruvian-Brazilian client, in the structuring of a bi-oceanic railway project, which will provide an alternative route to Brazilian commodities currently exported to the Asian-Pacific region using the Panama Canal
- Western Union, in the purchase of Fitta DTVM S.A.’s foreign exchange retail business operations
- GE Capital, in the sale of its Brazilian retail banking division to Banco BMG
- Caixa Econômica Federal, in the sale of its controlling stake in Banco Panamericano to Banco BTG Pactual
- international tech companies, in the structuring of their operations/products in Brazil, with a focus on regulatory approvals, cross-border remittances and payments arrangements
- national and international companies, in the structuring of their loyalty programs; actively participated in the conception and negotiation of the corporate and contractual frameworks of their programs, including agreements relating to licensing and integration of their online platforms
- BrasilTelecom, in the structuring of a cobranded credit card to be issued by Banco do Brasil and offered to Brasil Telecom’s clients drafted and negotiated all relevant contracts, including those relating to licensing and integration of their online platforms
- clients during negotiations for the purchase/sale of wind turbine equipment in an aggregate value of approximately BRL300million
Education & Affiliations
- Mr. Nascimento graduated from from Instituto Presbiteriano Mackenzie in 2002 and has a LL.M. from University of California – Berkeley.
- He was admitted to the Brazilian Bar (OAB/SP) in 2002.
- He is also a member of the State Bar of California’s International Law Section.